LL-L "Language varieties" 2011.04.07 (01) [EN]

Thu Apr 7 16:16:34 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 07 April 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Pat Barrett <pbarrett at cox.net>

Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2011.04.06 (01) [EN]

I'm ordering the newly published book by Lane Greene "You Are What You
Speak", which goes into issues like "between you and I" (which goes back at
least to Shakespeare's time) and other shibboleths, pet peeves, and raging
monsters of the grammar police. A lot of our upset over usages can be
deflated by a few linguistic facts. I am posting soon to my blog a review of
older books on this topic (and one recent one by David Crystal) and will let
this list know when I do. I will let you all know how I find the Greene book
when I read it. The New York Times review found it quite good.

I agree, however, with about everything Heather says here; I am simply
asking that non-standard English be given the same consideration as the many
non-standard and non-national linguistic varieties celebrated on this list.
We might want to consider the ill-advised proscribing of certain features by
school marms leading to over-corrections as just part of the process.

Pat Barrett

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com