LL-L "History" 2011.04.14 (03) [EN]

Thu Apr 14 18:00:19 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 14 April 2011 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L "Language use"

Beste Ron, dear Captain,

Kirk:* Ahhh, Mr. Scott, I understand you're having a problem in sick bay?*

Scotty: *Aye, aye Sir. Water is a-coming our way...and we only have
firing-power...what to do Sir? Sick bay is flooding very fast.*

Kirk:* We must have entered G8+5, a rapidly evolving high-density energy
field. Former Klingon territory, but after leaving, they installed a
Klystron. Slow down the Enterprise, I want all power transferred to the
pumps.*

Spock:* Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end, Admiral.*

The Kahuna wrote:

So I’ve thrown this into the discussion as intended food for thought. Please
understand that I do not advocate Chinese world domination (certainly not
under a regime anywhere like that of China *now*).

Your remark begs the question: Do you wish for any other country to dominate
the world?

Would you rather have one country on top, or do you prefer diffuse power? Or
something else?

Giving the topic a Lowlands twist: Look at the Hanseatic League. Numerous
reasons can be given why the League was once succesful, one of them being
the lack of a central dominating powerhouse. Just like the sea, power
shifted and drifted in all senses, fluidity was their hallmark.

Likewise, Chinese influence is like a flood, every single water particle is
not powerful...but a wave has lots of them, all sticking more or less
together. United, that power is massive, because it surrounds you, and
finally drags you away. It's hard to fight something that actually permeates
every structure of society. Silently, water is continuously seeping through
every crack of the building. Irreversibly even, because the force has not
really declared war to anything in particular.

It's all a matter of logic. Western logic is bivalent, very sharp and
predominantly based on the law of the excluded middle, whereas logic in
Middle Klingdom is female, fuzzy, fluid and volatile. Not contradictory to
any old beliefs at all, but merely enveloping them. Taking them back to the
womb so to speak.

Some countries behave like fire, whatever that doesn't agree, gets burnt.
You create a lot of enemies that way. That's when you need water to put out
the fire ;=)

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com