LL-L "Grammar" 2011.04.15 (04) [EN-NDS]

Fri Apr 15 17:12:23 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 15 April 2011 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>

Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2011.04.15 (01) [AF-EN-NL]

I could imagine a small child just learning to talk saying something like “I
eat now.”  Otherwise, the simple present is used in cases such as repeated
or habitual action:

I eat lunch at noon.

I eat fish on Fridays.

I eat steak medium rare.

I eat French fries with ketchup.

I eat too much.

I eat outside once in a while.

Kevin Caldwell

Laurel, MD

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2011.04.14 (05) [NL]

Very few modern forms of English in my experience would use "I eat now".
Old English and Middle English use it; it sometimes continues into the 18th
C. Otherwise, unless somebody is trying to be deliberately old fashioned,
you won't hear it. There may be dialects that do, but I've never heard them.

Paul

----------

From: Hannelore Hinz <hannehinz>

Piet schreew an Roger:

                        How to translate properly the difference between I
eat now, I'm eating now.

Wenn ick schriew, denn schriew ick.

Present simple: I write, Present progressive: I am writing. Dor bün ick jüst
mit taugang'.

Ick denk, 'I am eating' brukt nich 'now', wiel diss' Taustand je jüst in'n
Oogenblick besteiht, odder wist du di sülben äten (upäten).

Hartlich.

Hanne

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com