LL-L "Sign language" 2011.04.28 (05) [EN-NL]

Fri Apr 29 00:56:10 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 28 April 2011 - Volume 05
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L "Sign language"

Beste Sandy,

You wrote:

> In tegenstelling tot wat vaak gedacht wordt, bestaat er geen universele
gebarentaal. Gebarentalen verschillen van land tot land, en van streek tot
streek. Zo is het gebaar voor 'klein' anders in West-Vlaanderen dan in
Antwerpen. Ook het Vlaamse en Waalse gebaar voor dat woord verschillen van
elkaar. De Vlaamse gebarentaal (VGT) is de moedertaal van ongeveer
zesduizend Vlamingen en wordt daarnaast ook gebruikt door 26.000 à 30.000
horende mensen.

How can it be that five times as many hearing people use VGT as there are
native signers? What are they all using it for?

Not sure at all, but I think family cohesion is still stronger in Belgium
than in England. No man is an island, so maybe those other users are family
members, relatives or even coworkers.

Regarding another difference between England and Belgium: there's the
English trademark, called "democracy" on the one hand and a certain marriage
that has been getting a lot of attention lately on the other...not in the
least because the girl in case is not a "noblewoman". Maybe it's just me,
but...does that rhyme?

Off the record: maybe does...in an effort to "prove" that "anybody" can
access the Queen's mansion.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium
<http://scotstext.org/>

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject:Sign language

A deaf fellow passenger on a bus I regularly ride talks to himself in
American Sign Language. I was surprised at first, but then it made sense. If
you do talk to yourself (which these days is not always obvious, what with
all the new "invisible" phone gadgets) you might as well do it in sign
language if you know it.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org