LL-L "Grammar" 2011.04.29 (03) [EN]

Fri Apr 29 20:29:09 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 29 April 2011 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming <fleemin at live.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2011.04.29 (02) [EN]

> From: Pat Barrett <pbarrett at cox.net>
> Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2011.04.28 (06) [EN]

> The use of -s in other than 3rd person singular present tense verbs is a
characteristic of certain English dialects. All persons have -s.

Memory isn't serving me too well on this but I think it's in Berkshire or
thereabouts that it's all -s. There's somewhere else (Norwich?) where there
are no present tense endings.

So if we want a simple standard for English...  :)

I'm finding it hard to search for this sort of thing. Wikipedia has pages
about dialects but trying to follow links on them seems to lead to general
geographic pages about the regions.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com