LL-L "Administrativia" 2011.08.03 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 3 17:01:49 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 03 August 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mike Morgan mwmbombay at gmail.com
Subject: LL-L "Administrativia" 2011.08.02 (04) [EN]

R/R wrote:

 I tend to send holiday greetings with my postings (not only Administrativa
> ones) whenever I am personally aware of such holidays on those days or just
> in the offing. As other Lowlanders will confirm, over the years I have been
> doing so with Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Baha'i, Persian/Kurdish (Nowruz),
> Hindu, Buddhist, Celtic and Wicca holidays.

Hmmm... so, why not also Parsi and Sikh holidays !     (just joking... and
being here in India, my feeling is: the more religions the better... esp if
they bring an extra (official) holiday or two with them! ...)

mwm || U C > || mike || мика  || माईक || マイク || மாய்க் (aka Dr Michael W
Morgan)

Senior Consultant
BA in Applied Sign Language Studies (BAASLS)
*इन्दिरा* गांधी राष्ट्रीय मुक्त विश्वविद्यालय | Indira Gandhi National Open
University, New Delhi, India

"Too often we honor swagger and bluster and wielders of force; too often we
excuse those who are willing to build their own lives on the shattered
dreams of others. ... [T]here is another kind of violence, slower but just
as deadly destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the
violence of institutions; indifference and inaction and slow decay." (Bobby
Kennedy, 5 April 1968)

----------

From: Tomás Ó Cárthaigh tomasocarthaigh at yahoo.com
Personally I think that it is a nice touch. Not all Muslims are responsible
for the likes of 911, no more than all Christians are responsible for the
Oslo tragedy. It should not be an issue.

On a side note, to keep up with whats on for holidays Ron, the Wikipedia
would be an invaluable help. Look on its main page on the day of posting...
balabing... the anniversaries and events for that day are there.

Tomas

*"a person with a good book is never alone... a writer until they've written
one is never at peace"*

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com