LL-L "Etymology" 2011.11.30 (05) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 1 01:31:19 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 30 November 2011 - Volume 05
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Douglas G. Wilson douglas at nb.net <isaacmacdonalddavis at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2011.11.30.(04) [EN]

"Smog" was reportedly coined in London in July 1905 (and I don't see the
word used earlier, on brief search).

As one might expect, the word appeared promptly (1905) in the US, in
medical and engineering journals as well as ordinary newspapers.

Many instances of "smog" appeared in US publications thereafter, pretty
much continually as far as I can tell on brief search.

There _may_ have been a surge in popularity of the word around 1949.

-- Doug Wilson

----------

From: Pat Barrett pbarrett at cox.net

What's the old saying? "The problem with you yanks is that you're overpaid,
oversexed and over here."
I don't know about loans from England, but I surprised a Japanese lady I
met at a language teachers' conference this month by telling her how you
can still hear older guys in the U.S. use "skosh" for "a little", as in,
"Move it just a skosh" from Japanese "sukoshi no", "a little". They were
part of the Occupation of that country.

Pat Barrett pbarrett at cox.net
http://ideas.lang-learn.us/barrett.php

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com