LL-L "Current affairs" 2011.12.12 (04) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 13 02:25:50 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 12 December 2011 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Gary Taylor-raebel <gary_taylor_raebel at yahoo.com>><hannehinz at t-online.de>
 Subject: LL-L Current Affairs

'However, Cameron's recent face-down with Sarkozy and Merkel has made his
popularity jump everywhere'

At the risk of this becoming a political discussion, which it shouldn't as
this isn't the place, but I can't let everyone else in Europe have a bad
view of Britain because of the actions of one idiot - I would say in large
portions of the population including those in England David Cameron's
popularity has definitely NOT increased. I think a lot of people realise
that what he's done has completely isolated us from the rest of Europe and
this is absolutely not popular! Sorry - couldn't keep silent. It seems to
be those with ingrained xenophobia who see this as a move in the 'right'
direction and not those who realise isolationism isn't the way forward. And
you've got to remember, most of Labour, Lib Dems and other non-Tory parties
(notable exception being UKIP) are happy in Europe and the Tories didn't
win a majority of the votes, so Cameron definitely wasn't speaking for the
majority, it just seems those who want to do everything they can to stop
progress in Europe are the more vocal ones. Rant over - I'll go back to
being a passive observer again...

Gary Taylor-Raebel
London

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com