LL-L 'Language varieties' 2010.12.27. (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 27 20:25:14 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 27 December 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming fleemin at live.co.uk
 Subject: Language varieties

> From: Pat Barrett pbarrett at cox.net
 > Subject: LL-L 'Language varieties' 2010.12.26. (03) [EN]

> We do indeed celebrate Burns night in Mesa, AZ, USA. I don't know if it's
just the East Valley or the whole Phoenix metropolitan area. I do know
when there's
a performance of Scottish music (as performed by Scotchmen), at the first
note lots of "huge, ginger-bearded, claymore-wielding Scotchmen" jump up
and start yelling.

They start yelling in Scotch, I hope!

Burns Night seems increasingly popular in England in recent years. A lot of
pubs seem to do something special for it. Our local (Yeovil, Somerset)
college's catering department (not the canteen, the cookery teachers and
students) even do a Burns Supper. I've thought of offering to do the Tam
O'Shanter for them, but 20 minutes seems a long time to have sit and listen
to poetry in a foreign language :)

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk
 Subject: LL-L 'Language varieties' 2010.12.25. (01) [EN]

A dialect becomes a language when it gets an army.
Seriously, there can be no sharp line linguistically, there has to be a
political or social element. Swedish, Danish and Norwegian are recognised
as different languages, but as far as I can tell they understand each other
well enough.  The difference can't be any more than between Cockney and
Geordie, but politically they are distinct countries.  Though if
conversations on other lists are anything to go by, not everyone agrees who
is what nationality or where the borders are. Note that James I of England,
VI of Scotland, referred to his language as "Inglis".

When do dialects become languages? when to twigs become branches?

Paul

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com