LL-L "Memorization" 2011.02.21 (02) [DE-EN-NDS]

Mon Feb 21 19:31:46 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 21 February 2011 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
============================== =======================

From: Mike Morgan <mwmbombay at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Memorization" 2011.02.20 (03) [DE-EN-NDS]

 Paul wrote

author Julian Jaynes, early man "heard voices", and often the voices
were rhythmic, intonational and very music like, with lots of
repetition.  Early language output was highly melodic.  There is
something deeply primitive about poetry, and especially the stuff that
undergoes alliteration and assonance, especially within the rhyme of
the syllable.

While SOME of the stuff written on early (so-call "primitive") language and
speech is highly interesting, in a speculative sort of way, there is
actually VERY LITTLE we KNOW about it.

AND, i see NO REASON to even speculate that early language was any more
rhythmic, intonational or musical than modern languages (on average) are.

That said, I agree that the rhythm and melody ARE (at least part of) what
makes poetry easier to memorize than prose... and structured lists of new
vocabulary easier to memorize than random lists. If *I* may speculate
(though I don't think it IS speculation), man is "programmed" by the
structured network nature of his neural system to see/hear structure (and
this is also the reason why conspiracy theories "work"; they provide a
structured explanation for what MAY be unstructured events)...

Therefore, the more structured a text is, the easier it is to find the
structure... and there for easier it is to learn/memorize. This is ALSO the
trick behind mnemonics: they provide a structure for otherwise seemingly
random things (like which months have 30 days and which don't, or whether
"i" comes before "e" in spelling English words).

 mwm || U C > || mike || мика  || माईक || マイク || மாஇக (aka Dr Michael W
Morgan)
Senior Consultant
BA Programme in Applied Sign Linguistics
IGNOU-UCLan New Delhi, India

"I have become my own version of an optimist. If I can't make it through one
door, I'll go through another door - or I'll make a door. Something terrific
will
come no matter how dark the present." (R. Tagore)