LL-L "Lexicon" 2011.07.05 (01) [EN-NL]

Tue Jul 5 17:02:00 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 05 July 2011 - Volume 01
 Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Paul Finlow-Bates wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2011.07.04 (02) [EN-NL]

I don't suppose they published it in Geordie either. That strikes me as a
really silly complaint; if they are so desperate to see a Netherlands
version, get the rights, translate it and publish it. But how hard could it
be to understand anyway? I'm far from fluent in Dutch but I'm sure I could
manage cook book.

Paul
Derby
England

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

I quite agree with what Paul says above.

Books, including cookbooks, are published and widely distributed in
different types of English all the time. If they don't get translated, they
might include parenthesized alternative terms (e,g., courgette (zucchini),
capsicum (bell pepper)) or have glossaries. Even if not, most people don't
have a problem with them anyway. (Weights and measures are a different
matter but tend to be represented in a similar fashion.)

Seattle, WA