LL-L "Art" 2011.07.19 (02) [EN]

Wed Jul 20 23:05:55 UTC 2011

  L O W L A N D S - L - 19 July 2011 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Pat Reynolds pat at caerlas.co.uk
 Subject: LL-L "Exhibition review"

I went to the Queen’s Gallery (Buckingham Palace, London) exhibition of
Dutch Landscapes yesterday (runs until 9th October 2011), and thought it a
very interesting exhibition. Its not large (just two rooms and 40 or so
paintings) but has an excellent audioguide, and is well worth a visit for
lowlandophiles in/passing through London.

I am not sure whether I am disappointed that so much space (not  a lot, but
quite a lot) was given to Dutch artists painting Italian landscapes (or
Italianate landscapes).  It is feature that it is handled well in the
interpretation, and is a product of the fact that this is an exhibition from
a family collection (a series of individual, genetically-related,
collectors), rather than a assemblage of paintings to follow a particular
narrative.  And on the other hand, I didn’t notice anything about the
English/Dutch relationship at the level of the family, or the nation.

There are some wonderful, wonderful paintings.  Aelbert Cuyp’s “Page with
Two Horses”, and Jan van der Heyden’s “A country House on the Vliet near
Delft” are the ones that will stay with me.

---

Pat Reynolds

It may look messy now ...

         ... but just you come back in 500 years time (T. Pratchett).

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com