LL-L "Language politics" 2011.06.01 (07) [EN]

Wed Jun 1 19:02:34 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 01 June 2011 - Volume 07
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: M.-L. Lessing marless at gmx.de

Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2011.06.01 (04) [EN]

Well, Mike, if it must be, let an EU-wide referendum decide! Good chances
for German :-) Or we will all have to learn Maltese --- fine mass-adventure
:-)

But I don't think it would strenghten the smaller languages. How so? It
would not change the way people speak or understand. Low German would be
just as bad off in Germany as it is now. People don't care a straw about
what is translated into what in Brussels. Hardly anybody would take notice.
Do you think they would say "Oh, look, now they do no longer translate into
German in Brussels/Strasbourg/elsewhere! Only English! German is, in
Brussels, no better than any other language! Just as poor a devil as
Low German! Just think! We should now rate Low German higher since High
German is just as down-and-out!" They would, if anything, rather tend
to rate High German as low as all those other starveling languages and try
to speak that ghastly Globish themselves, thereby deteriorating it still
more. Would be fun if GB would then leave the EU for sheer disgust :-))

Hartlich

Marlou
(No EHEC still, but something terrible is spreading from our region here...
must be home-bred, the Spanish are innocent... it kills people, and we don't
find the source... yes, *our* glorious medical institutions *still* have *no
clue*... first casualties from shame, not from EHEC, are reported... beware,
rest of the world! The north-german plague will get you!)

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com