LL-L "Language politics" 2011.06.02 (01) [EN]

Thu Jun 2 15:44:37 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 02 June 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mike Wintzer k9mw at yahoo.com

Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2011.06.01 (08) [EN]

Paul wrote:
« I fancy Danish for the role.  That, or Frisian »
[for the rôle of a European lingua franca].
What about Chemehuevi? Or Njerep?
I am serious. It doesn't really matter
which one. For expediency only it should
be English or Basic English.
Mike Wintzer

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk

Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2011.06.01 (10) [EN]

While I totally disagree with banning of Platt or any language, surely any
citizen of Germany needs to speak German? Even if you don't actually want to
be a citizen of Germany you presumably need to know what your government and
other agencies are actually doing?  Many Welsh people don't want to be
citizens of the United Kingdom (and many English too, including me); many
want to speak Welsh if they don't already, but few would argue against
learning English.

A lot depends on the nature and purpose of the ban; when I worked in Algeria
we had two young people who were keen on improving their English, so they
introduced their own rule to only speak English, even with each other. They
obviously weren't anti-Arabic, it was just a method of immersion.  And it
worked; the improvement in 6 months was spectacular.

The error, made in Wales, Brittany, and apparently Germany, is to assume
that the local language should be actually suppressed or eliminated.

Paul
Derby
England

----------

From: M.-L. Lessing marless at gmx.de

 Hello Mike,

would not the teacher in your example now tell the children to speak only
lingua franca, because the better they could converse when traveling or
working abroad, while at home it would be just the same...? So it seems to
me that this would not lift up the smaller languages, but drop the "national
languages" of today into the same pit they dropped the minority languages
into. Guess what this would to to them. The only winner would be the lingua
franca.

Maybe you remember Günther Oettinger saying in 2006 that English would soon
become the "Amts- und Arbeitssprache" in Germany and German be the language
for leisure time and private matters only. The statement then caused him
some trouble. (Now Non-Germans, if you google "oettinger english" and find
some videos, prepare for a good laugh! And YES, it is the same man!!!) Is
this not exactly what you propose? And what has happened to Platt since some
centuries ago? Desirable...?

Sorry if I do not remember the discussion we had time ago. I am getting old,
I fear -- turned 47 this year :-)

Hartlich

Marlou