LL-L "Language varieties" 2011.06.12 (02) [EN]

Sat Jun 18 04:33:05 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 17 June 2011 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: M.-L. Lessing marless at gmx.de
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2011.06.17 (01) [EN]

When I listened I thought it was Ostpreußisch he must have heard and taken
for Low German. Or maybe a Ostpreuße has tried to teach him Low German :-)
But even there he does not strike the right tone very well... as far as I
can say from having heard several old Ostpreußen talk.

Hartlich

Marlou

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n26rXPiGXDI

 From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Hi, Ben!

My take is that his pronunciation in all three varieties is iffy. There are
too many "iffinesses" to name them all.

For instance, he pronounces *hochdeutsch* as [ˈhɔxdoɪʧ] instead of correct
[ˈhoːxdɔɪʧ].

He may have never heard Low German (Low Saxon) pronounced before. Among the
most striking errors are ...

(1) pronouncing syllable-final -r
(2) inconsistent pronunciation of long a as [ɒː] and [aː]

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com