LL-L "Culture" 2011.06.19 (01) [EN]

Sun Jun 19 17:19:37 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 19 June 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mike Morgan mwmbombay at gmail.com
Subject: LL-L "Culture" 2011.06.18 (01) [EN-NL]

Roger (et alii)

According to my reading of Caesar and other ancient authors (as well as
Goscinny and Uderzo!), the Belgii (Belgian aboriginals?) were quite possibly
not Roman Catholic... and originally (whatever THAT means?) perhaps even not
German(ic). Presumably, at some time in history, migrants came in (including
both the Romans AND the Roman Catholics), and with these migrants came
different ways, different religions, and presumably "a lot of social
pressure ... to adjust to the new culture". The Spanish Inquisition was
somewhat more than just social pressure. Alas, no more boar on Fridays...
and head hunting was now done by the RC.

Christianos ad leones! (Tertullianus, Apologeticum) /  Ἅγνωστος Θεός (Paul,
> Acts)

Am not sure which I would prefer, being thrown to the lions, or being burned
at the stake ...

mwm || U C > || mike || мика  || माईक || マイク || மாய்க் (aka Dr Michael W
Morgan)

Senior Consultant
BA in Applied Sign Language Studies (BAASLS)
*इन्दिरा* गांधी राष्ट्रीय मुक्त विश्वविद्यालय | Indira Gandhi National Open
University, New Delhi, India

"Too often we honor swagger and bluster and wielders of force; too often we
excuse those who are willing to build their own lives on the shattered
dreams of others. ... [T]here is another kind of violence, slower but just
as deadly destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the
violence of institutions; indifference and inaction and slow decay." (Bobby
Kennedy, 5 April 1968)