LL-L "Language varieties" 2011.06.24 (01) [EN]

Fri Jun 24 16:36:35 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 24 June 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: list at marcusbuck.org

Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2011.06.23 (05) [EN]

Speaking about Dutch colonial languages: Are there any (recent or former)
Dutch Low Saxon speaking colonies/towns somewhere in the world? There are
plenty of German Low Saxon regions (Plautdietsch in Northern Asia, North,
Middle and South America, Pomeranian in Brazil, several different Low Saxon
dialects in various parts of the US etc.) so I'd guess it's not unlikely
that there are Dutch Low Saxon ones too but I've never heard about any.

Marcus Buck

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Dear Marcus,

There is a longstanding Dutch community straddling the border between
Washington, USA and British Columbia, Canada. Rumor has it that there are
"dialect" speakers and also Frisian speakers among them.

The problem with Low Saxon in a mixed overseas community is that Low Saxon
is more threatened on account of being perceived as minimally different from
Dutch and as "dialect."

Seattle

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com