LL-L "Grammar" 2011.05.02 (06) [EN]

Tue May 3 01:12:44 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 02 May 2011 - Volume 06
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L "Grammar"

 Beste Ron,

You wrote:

It seems to me that thisconstruction (VSO) is what you might call the
"narrative construction" that survives only (?) in German jokes. In frozen
form it can still be found in German folk-songs (e.g. *Kommt ein Vogel
geflogen* instead of *Ein Vogel kommt geflogen*, or *Zieht der Bursch die
Straß entlang* instead of *Der Bursch zieht die Straß entlang*).

Said construction is also used in Dutch jokes. Putting the verb in front
(intentionally) breaks order and adds panache, because attention is shifting
towards action. Sure way to make the audience get involved, feel tension and
start anticipating.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium