LL-L "Grammar" 2011.05.07 (01) [EN]

Sun May 8 00:12:02 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 07 May 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Grammar

Dear Lowlanders,

Having just listened to the song “This Day Daws” I am reminded that in the
Tudor era, English—passing from its Late Middle stage and entering its Early
Modern stage—retained syntactical and morphological characteristics that
continue in its sister languages till this day but are quite foreign to the
ears of today's English speakers:

Modern: This day is dawning and I must go home.

*Tudor: This day daws and I must home go.*

Low Saxon: Düsse Dag fangt an un ik mutt na Hus’ gahn.

Dutch: Deze dag is breekt aan en ik moet naar huis gaan.

Afrikaans: Hierdie dag breek aan en ek moet huis toe gaan.

German: Dieser Tag bricht an und ich muss heimgehen.

But of course, the song may have been older and its lyrics archaic even
then.

Any thoughts, ideas, information?

Happy Mothers Day!

Seattle, USA