LL-L "Phonology" 2011.05.13 (03) [EN]

Fri May 13 18:44:07 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 13 May 2011 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Brooks, Mark mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us
Subject: LL-L Phonology

Good day Lowlanders:

I have a question about the pronunciation of the Dutch ‘W’. I’ve asked a
couple of Dutch friends on Twitter, and they describe a sound that seems
similar to the Spanish ‘b/v’. By that I mean a sort of voiced rounded
bi-labial fricative. The rounded part wouldn’t be Spanish, but the rest
seems like it. They didn’t use those words, of course, but their description
sounds close like it.

They said to put the lips like pronouncing an English ‘W’ but closer
together to where they almost touch. They also said, don’t make it the
German ‘W’!

So, I wonder if anyone can enlighten me about how to produce the Dutch ‘W’.
Is it different in word-initial positions and word-final positions?

Thanks,
Mark Brooks

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com