LL-L "Idiomatica" 2011.05.25 (01) [EN]

Wed May 25 19:00:58 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 24 May 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming fleemin at live.co.uk <list at marcusbuck.org>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2011.05.24 (02) [EN-NDS]

> From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk
 > Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2011.05.19 (05) [NDS]

> It was one of the Roman historians (I forget which one) talking about
the Celts who stated that what they feared most was that the sky might
fall on their heads.

It sounds like typical Roman propaganda. "Those barbarians fear the day they
never saw!"

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk <list at marcusbuck.org>

 The eruptio of Thera (now Santorini) about 1615BCE is blamed for a lot of
mythical catastophes, from Atlantis to the events of Exodus.

It was certainly a monster, probably 4 or 5 Krakatoas.

But the realitiy is, if you're caught up in a natural disaster of some sort,
you have no idea how big or widespread it is.  Mount St Helens in 1980 was a
pipsqueak of an eruption by geological standards - small consolation if you
happened to be one of the unfortunates caught in it.  For them, it was every
bit as devastating as Thera.

Earthquakes, eruptions, tsunamis, giant storms, all will have occured to
everyone's ancestors sooner or later.  Teasing out which is referred to in a
particular myth is impossible unless you have a fluke of archaeology.

Paul
Derby
England

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com