LL-L "Language politics" 2011.11.23 (04) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 24 00:48:38 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 23 November 2011 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Hellinckx Luc luc.hellinckx at gmail.com
 Subject: LL-L "Language politics"

Beste Henry,

You wrote:

Roger Thijs wrote:

> See picture from the “avenue Ten Horen” – “Ten Horen laan” (zum Horn
Allee)
> in the bilingual “Uccle” – “Ukkel”, one of the 19 municipalities of the
> Brussels capital region.

Hey, the French sign is bigger.

Of course...this is a prank set up by the Dutch community ;=) We
bilinguals, all know you have to turn to the right, but since most of the
French have absolutely no clue what "Wegomlegging" means they will surely
follow the bigger (French) signpost. This is our way to minimize traffic
jams ;=)

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium

PS: Even in unilingual territory, at a junction, you can sometimes see a
sign pointing to the left: Brussel, 15 km, and another pointing to the
right, Brussel, 17 km. No problem for locals...

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com