LL-L "Lexicon" 2011.09.08 (03) [EN-NDS]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 9 05:42:29 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 08 September 2011 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Hellinckx Luc luc.hellinckx at gmail.com
 Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2011.09.08 (02) [EN]

Beste Ron,

On 08/09/11, at 20:29, Lowlands-L wrote:

There is an interesting BBC report about color terminologies influencing
color perception:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b71rT9fU-I

Fascinating.

In line with a point of view I expressed before: language does format your
brain (less so the other way round). And yes, I do know our brain is not a
computer and a metaphor is only what it is, a metaphor.

For your interest, I have a new student this year who has strong
mathematical skills, and yet he barely knows how to calculate. The guy makes
brilliant movies and can grasp abstract concepts like continuity, but
somewhere along the line the aural (mathematical) information he's getting
gets distorted when it reaches his fingers (writing, typing). Many of his
family members have some kind of impediment, like ADD or dyslexia. He
doesn't, but in his case, mathematics is simply "red". Many topics in his
world get tagged with a certain color. It almost seems as if color functions
like a pre-speech vocabulary. Btw, he is very fond of airbrushing.

Which brings me to "metathesis", for some reason, apparently, many people
(if not all) mix up stuff at one point in time. Mix up numbers, write 97
instead of 79, swap letters and say wasp instead of waps or even start
reading from right to left. You could call it whatever you like, but these
linguistic mutations (cf. gene mutations...copy errors) are rather rule than
exception. In some way, I think they are the driving force behind language
evolution. Essentially they are mistakes, but statistically speaking they
occur so often that they become like a thriving force (if enough people make
the same spelling mistake, spelling changes in the end, no matter how
conservative this spelling is).

>From next week on, I'll be attending a music history course, and I have high
hopes. Music, dance, poetry, language and math, I have this vague feeling
that they are different manifestations of one and the same "defect"...so to
speak. Struggling to explain the inexplicable. Will keep you informed ;=)

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium

From: Hannelore Hinz <hannehinz at t-online.de> <hannehinz at t-online.de>
Subject: Lexicon

Hallo all' Lowlanners,

vielicht kann uns wat nu kümmt helpen:

http://www.medien.ifi.lmu.de/fileadmin/mimuc/mmi_ws0405/uebung/essays/maria.wagner/colouressay.html

Hartlich Gräuten

Hanne

(Bün noch bannig wackelig up de Beinen...)

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com