LL-L "Travels" 2012.08.26 (03) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 26 22:27:37 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 26 August 2012 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Tomás Ó Cárthaigh tomasocarthaigh at yahoo.com
Subject: LL-L "Travels" 2012.08.26 (01) [EN]

For a native French speaker the patois would probably not be a problem, but
outsiders like us only used to standard French, wed be lost.

Native Hiberno-English speakers generally never have a problem with the
braid tang of Glasgow, but for those whove been to elecution and come from
the "proper" districts of the country where Queens English is the only
acceptable dialect, them they are lost!!!!

Tomás

----------

 From: mike.keach mike.keach at gmail.com

Hertzlich Grutzi, Mitanand !

I haven't chimed in for a great while but I have been keeping up with all
the posts.  Great stuff!

For the entire month of September I'll be in Switzerland with some time in
Chianti, Italy and some time in Munich for Oktoberfest.  We may try to get
up into Neidersachsich territory but don't know yet.  This will be a
perfect amount of time to see just how offensive (or inoffensive) my
Zuriduutch is and my Bavarian.  =^D

There will be lots of time to spend with the locals so I'm hoping to be
able to get over my abject *terror* of speaking with native speakers.  I'm
hoping they'll prove to be as forgiving as we are here in the States.

If so, I'll be as "wie glucklich wie ein Made im Speck!"

Tchuuss!

~Mike von Tampadorf (where Isaac is already churning up the Gulf and
dumping Biblical amounts of wind and rain ..... and it's still waaay to the
south of us!)

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com