LL-L "Phonology" 2012.01.10 (01) [DE-EN-NDS]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 10 18:57:28 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 10 January 2012 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2012.01.09 (03) [EN]

from Heather Rendall  heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

I have been following this thread with great interest because it is a
particular interest of mine.
I would like to
emphasise one thing which tends to get lost in a written discussion -
which is that metathesis is originally an  audio/verbal activity. It is
so easy to look at written examples and just take the juxtaposition of
letters for granted - or even accept it as a pretty easily
understandable phenomenon.

However if you read the examples out loud and listen to the amazing
difference in sound that metathesis requires, you begin to ask yourself
just what is it in the brain and the auditory processes that allows
this to happen?

When talking about it with teachers I refer to the amazing " audio-
gymnastics" that the brain has to do in order to create 'ors' out of
'ros'. One has to imagine oneself illiterate to get the real force of
this ability (?) linguistic characteristic? error in processing (?) ...
what is going on and how would one best describe it.

That it continues to this day is clear when

a) listening to children learning to speak; my grand-daughter has come
up with some super examples; I shall have to start writing them down

b)locals in Northamptonshire still refer to Althorpe ( Earl Spencer's
place' ) as 'Altrup' whereas I am unaware of any of the Yorkshire /
North England's .... thorpes being treated like this..... though I
would love to hear some examples if it does happen.

We did discuss this years ago I remember and at the risk of repeating
something from the archives: I suggested then that there may well be a
link between methathesis and dyslexia - at least some forms of the
latter, as I am convinced that many conditions are brought together
under that same title ( for example: those people who benefit from
coloured reading glasses to bring 'dancing letters' or 'curved pages'
under control.)

best wishes

Heather
Worcester UK