LL-L "Idiomatica" 2012.01.16 (02) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 16 21:34:15 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 16 January 2012 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong Dutchmatters at comcast.net
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2012.01.15 (03) [EN]

Hi Gael

Towards the end of your last contribution to this strain you say:    For
now though, can someone give me a few more clues?  Is the word/concept of *
dörp* related to a certain capability among *lowlanders to mix together
more ‘harmoniously.*’

I can clearly understand where you are coming from. I am also the
granddaughter in a family that lived in the countryside and spoke ‘Plat’ at
home. (In my case ‘Twents’ – one of the Low Saxon dialects of the Eastern
Netherlands). I did not grow up in that part of the country, but in one of
the large cities of the West. I also experienced the difference between the
two ways of life as almost mutually exclusive. The one in Almelo was
warmer, funkier and ’more together’ than that in Utrecht, which I
considered up-tight.  In the country side people knew each other better and
did not consider each other a threat. There was lots of humor, lots of
laughter. Maybe that comes from living closer to the land. If you are
living in natural surroundings and with nature, it seems that you do not
have to keep a distance from your surroundings and life becomes more
‘whole’ (for lack of a better word). Even now, when I leave the city I
automatically become more happy in my skin.

As for the word “dorps”; It is all in the eyes of the beholder.  You can
look at it from the outside and depending on your attitude use it
derisively; like ‘those simpletons’, or like in my case with longing for
the connection. On the other hand, one can be a teenager, living in the
area, and resent that closeness.  He or she would be looking  forward to
the noise and the frenetic rhythm of the city.

As far as the music goes. I once spent 4 month in Switzerland and I could
recognize the off-beat between living there and in the rest of the world.

So ‘Swiss Regae’ is not a mutually exclusive terminology..

Jacqueline BdJ
Seattle USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com