LL-L "Lexicon" 2012.07.08 (02) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 8 19:57:55 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 08 July 2012 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mark and Ruth Dreyer mrdreyer at telkomsa.net

Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2012.07.07 (02) [EN]

Dear Ron, Marlou & Michael:

Subject: LL-L: Lexicon

Ron, you quoted The German Wikipedia:, which I reference below:

For my part, I would  report that the dogs down our way are still urged to
the chase, or the fight, with the word 'Sa!' the preliminary alert as it
were is to say 'sssk, sssk, sssk,' & then, 'Sa!'
So universal is this cry some rural areas that even dogs not actually
deliberately schooled to it themselves will respond to the same.

Greetings from this sheepish lurker, & best wishes to you & your students,
Ron:
from Mark & Ruth

> *Tausendsassa*, in Österreich umgangssprachlich auch *Wunderwuzzi*, ist
> eine Bezeichnung für eine Person, die sich durch zahlreiche Begabungen
> auszeichnet. Ein Multitalent bzw. Alleskönner.Das Wort ist im 18.
> Jahrhundert entstanden. Es ist eine Hypostasierung des Zurufs „tausend sa
> sa!“, einer übertriebenen Steigerung von „sa sa!“. „Sa Sa“ wurde als
> Hetzruf für Hunde verwendet (vermutlich aus frz. ça = das). Somit könnte
> man Tausendsassa übersetzen mit: "Tausend dies und das."
> Your translation:

*Tausendsassa*, in Austria colloquially also *Wunderwuzzi*, denotes a

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com