LL-L "Language image" 2012.07.22 (05) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 23 00:37:53 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 22 July 2012 - Volume 05
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Pat Barrett pbarrett at cox.net
Subject: LL-L "Language image" 2012.07.22 (03) [EN]

Gosh, just yesterday at the gym I struck up a conversation in Spanish with
an attractive lady who said she spoke only Mayan as a child. She’s from
Honduras. She said she looks just like the graven images and turned her
profile to me and – voila! – indeed her profile was a perfect outline of
Mayan profiles. I’m lucky here in AZ to encounter people who speak the
local languages (Navaho, Apache, Pima-Papago, Hopi) plus the many people
from Mexico and Central America who speak the indigenous languages.
Pat Barrett
pbarrett at cox.net

----------

From: R.  F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language image

Paul and Pat,

Please also consider related Yoeme (Yaqui) which is represented in our
Anniversary presentation (lowlands-l.net/anniversary/):

lowlands-l.net/anniversary/yoeme-info.php
lowlands-l.net/anniversary/yoeme.php

Quite some time ago, some of its speakers immigrated to the USA,
specifically to Arizona. The Mexican persecution they fled must have been
pretty bad ... Their descendants tend to be trilingual: Yoeme, Spanish and
English.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com