LL-L "History" 2012.06.03 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 3 22:59:51 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 03 June 2012 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Thijs rogerthijs at yahoo.com <hannehinz at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "History"

When trying to link modern languages with old substrates we suppose some
continuity. That supposed continuity may not be correct since we may have a
tendency to minimize genocides in the past.

Caesar wrote that his army mudered all people of the "Eburons" tribe (as
reaction to a betrayal). Later we find the "Tungri" in the same area and we
suppose it was not that bad, and that the people just changed the name of
the very same tribe (or the Tungri merged with the Eburons and lended their
name). Since Caesar was the big new hero in the history of the Roman
empire, it was perhaps convenient to deny or minimize the genocide in
education.

>From recent findings of gold tresors at 8 places in the area (cf. annexed
pdf file) one may conclude, since the Romans confiscated all gold they
could find, and replaced the golden coins by silver and bronze coins, that
the mass murdering may have been very thorough: the buried tresors were
never recovered (from at least 8 places)untill recently. Metal detectors
are only recently developped.

So we may never know whether the Eburons spoke a Gallic-Celtic or a
Germanic language.

Regards,
Roger

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com