LL-L "Grammar" 2012.03.04 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 4 14:17:22 UTC 2012

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Obiter Dictum" <obiterdictum at mail.ru>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2012.03.01 (04) [EN]

Hello Pat:

Thanks a ton! The nicest piece of research I have seen in years!

   *When I first saw this, I scrambled to my linguistic dictionaries and a
couple of other books but couldn't find anything. I even went to notebooks
on the history of French syntax where Martin Harris discussed Germanic
sentence structure but found nothing.*
* *
*But I had just started a book called The Shape of English by Roger Lass
and idly turned to the back of the book and my eye lit upon the following
section heading: "Loss of the 'Sentence-Brace' and I thought, "Hmmmmmm"
Here, I believe, is at least part of what you are looking for. I have to
idea how to get this to you other than to type it out. *

Hmmm, indeed! Who would think the gen would come from the other side of the
line (of development).

(Still, it would be great if some of the aficionados of Dutch and other
non-High-German languages and dialects would contribute relevant parts of
the respective languages' history.)

   *p. 327*
*(iii) Loss of the 'Sentence-Brace'*
*The sentence-brace (G Satzklammer [parenthetical sentence]) is an old West
Germanic construction which involves the splitting, under certain
conditions, of an auxiliary from a main verb. In simple intransitive
clauses, the normal order of WGmc (and NGmc for that matter) is: Subject +
Auxiliary + Infinitive/Participle:*

Right. This covers the most essential part. Thanks again, Pat.

   *This doesn't get to all your questions, Vlad, and there were no
bibliographical references in these two passages, but this may give a
starting point for further investigation to your most interesting questions.
*
*Pat Barrett*

Exactly, Pat. Thanks again. This far, you findings demonstrate
that Satzklammer used to be the common WGerm feature, rather than borrowed
from (or styled after, as) High German.

To make sure -- Again, what about the other Continental Lowland languages
(except Dutch, Frisian, Afrikaans and Yiddish): Do they have Satzklammer?
Ron? You know everything man :)

Thanks in advance and regards --
Vlad Lee

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com