LL-L "Traditions" 2012.03.20 (03) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 20 20:23:29 UTC 2012

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com> <marless at gmx.de>

Subject: Traditions

Happy Vernal Equinox to all in the Northern Hemisphere, and Happy Autumnal
Equinox to those down under!

Marlou wrote:

To all our muslim members: Happy New year!

I second that, although Nowrūz <goog_1407859701> (
<goog_1407859701>نوروز‎<goog_1407859701>"New
Day")<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowruz>is not an all-Muslim
holiday. It appears to have originated in the
Persian-speaking world, probably within early Zoroastrianism, and has been
spread to Persian-influenced (mostly Turkic-speaking) cultures in Central
and Southern Asia as well as to some cultures in Western Asia and
Southeastern Europe. For instance, it is celebrated also among
Zoroastrians, Kurds, Bahá'ís, and Christians (e.g. Aramaians/Assyrians,
Armenians, Georgians and both Christian and Muslim Albanians).

! نوروز مبارک به همه

Reinhard/Ron
Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com