LL-L "Traditions" 2012.03.21 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 21 18:25:59 UTC 2012

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Paul Finlow-Bates wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk

Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2012.03.20 (04) [EN]

Now Ruz is the Iranian new year in the modern calendar.  The First of
Ordibehesht equates to March 21; it's a public holiday.

And here in the United Kingdom, our tax year begins on April 6th.  Thats
because New Year was always traditionally 25th March (a Julian Calendar
approximation of the Equinox). When we switched to the Gregorian Calendar
in England (Scotland already had done), the extra days were added on
because people were outraged at having to pay tithes and taxes a couple of
weeks early.

Paul
Derby
England