LL-L "Etymology" 2012.03.27 (03) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 28 01:00:22 UTC 2012

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

 From: Tomás Ó Cárthaigh tomasocarthaigh at yahoo.com
 Subject: LL-L "Names" 2012.03.26 (01) [EN]

Thanks a million Luc. In addition to the origional 1709 shipment of
Palatines, there were many more who came over to Ireland in three or more
waves from 1709 to 1820.

Officially all were Protestant, but many were Catholic claiming to be
Protestant to settle in a better land. Yes, they judged Ireland and England
of the famine times as a better land.

It might be of interest to those on the listserve that they brought new
ways of farming with them unknown to the Irish of the time, from crop
rotation to turnips as a staple crop as opposed to potatoes. It is the
latter that attracted my attention to them from a family story from famine
times.

They were a humble as well as a knowledgeable people, willing to take the
affront when someone told them there way was no good, but when the Irish
way failed, and the Irishreturned to askthem how their way succeeded, they
patiently displayed their way of doing things that the Irish then adapted,
without scorning the Irish, something remebered by the Irish to this day,
which is why Palatine is an identity of pride in Ireland.

Not on the Palatine list, but of German origion, are the following names in
Ireland, Spitz, Buggle, Buggy, Forster among others. I assume these are
from the second and third waves of settlers.

It might be of intrest, that to my two emails, the Irish Palatine
Association did not answer one. Why? I dont know, maybe they dont like any
variation from the official story.

The most famous Palatine in Ireland is a guy called John Kelly, celebrated
in the song Kelly the Boy from Killanne:

Tell me who is the giant with the gold curling hair,
He who rides at the head of the band?
Seven feet is his height, with some inches to spare
And he looks like a king in command!
"Oh, me boys, that´s the pride of the bold Shelmaliers,
"Mongst our greatest of heroes, a man!
Fling your beavers aloft and give three rousing cheers,
for John Kelly, the boy from Killanne!"

His mother was a Palatine, and as far as I know were from Carlow, where
there was a large settlement of Palatines, celebrated today in the Palatine
G.A.A. club, and the town of the same name.

>From Wikipedia:

Palatine, County Carlow
>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 Jump to: navigation<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palatine,_County_Carlow#mw-head>,
search <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palatine,_County_Carlow#p-search>
  [image: Wiki letter
w.svg]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wiki_letter_w.svg>

*Palatine* (Irish <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_language>: *Cnoc Arda*
)[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palatine,_County_Carlow#cite_note-0> is
a village in County Carlow <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Carlow>,
Ireland <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland>. It lies mostly
within the townlands <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townland> of Knockarda
and Killyshane, close to the County
Kildare<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Kildare>border.

"Palatinetown" is mentioned in *A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland*
by Samuel
Lewis <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Lewis_%28publisher%29>,
1837:[2]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palatine,_County_Carlow#cite_note-1>
 “ PALATINETOWN, a hamlet, in the parish of URGLIN, barony and county of
CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 2¾ miles (N. E.) from Carlow, on the road
to Castledermot; containing 88 inhabitants. It is said to derive its name
from a colony of German refugees, who were driven from their native
country, and settled here, in the reign of Louis XIV. The Rt. Hon. B.
Burton obtained a patent for four fairs, of which that on the 26th of March
is the only one at present held. A constabulary police force is stationed
in the village.
 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Palatine2.JPG>
 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Palatine2.JPG>
Palatine, County Carlow

*"a person with a good book is never alone... a writer until they've
written one is never at peace" *

- www.writingsinrhyme.com  *:::* Add me on
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1068146849>
* :::* My YouTube Videos <http://www.youtube.com/>