LL-L "Names" 2012.03.28 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 28 20:01:20 UTC 2012

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

 From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk
 Subject: LL-L "Names" 2012.03.26 (03) [EN]

from Heather Rendall heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

Tom wrote about the Palatines

One of the most famous Palatine couples were Margaret and Philip Embury.

Margaret Switzer, the daughter of Johann Christopher Switzer one of the
original emigrants from Assenheim, married Philip Embury and they both
emigrated to the States c 1730/1740 where he is known as the 1st
Methodist preacher in the USA. The chapel near Rathkeale, Co Limerick
where he originally worshipped is visited annually by American
Methodists.

I knew nothing of the Palatine history until I visited Newcastle West
looking for family rooots. All I had was my gt gt grandfather's name
Gideon Switzer Reidy. Everything was revealed by a visit to the small
but richly informative museum at Rathkeale and also by risking a phone
call to Reidys listed in the phonebook - which worked and I was
welcomed back into a family my gt gt grandfather had left in 1844!

It also solved a puzzle that had long intrigued me - which was how a
Book of British Folk Tales included one from Northern Ireland called
"Ashpittel" which was of course a German version  of Cinderella. Once I
learnt that Platines had settled in N.I. the mystery was solved!

From

Heather

Worcester UK

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com