LL-L "Etymology" 2012.03.31 (01) [EN-NDS]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 31 23:20:31 UTC 2012

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

 From: Luc Vanbrabant lucv32 at gmail.com
 Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2012.03.27 (01) [DE-EN-NDS]

Dear Ron and Lowlanders,

In Western Flanders everybody now uses the word 'brem', but some decades
ago we also used the words 'ginst(e)  / genst(e)' and 'brom / broem'.  Not
far from here there are  toponyms called 'De Ginste / Ginsteberg' . In
Plombières (near Germany) there is a place called 'Gensterbloem'. The
flowers were called 'papen'.
And there are words like 'brombilk (brombulk) / bromboer / bromzaad'

Groetjes,

Luc Vanbrabant
Oekene