LL-L "Language politics" 2012.05.16 (03) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 16 23:47:05 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 16 May 2012 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: M.-L. Lessing marless at gmx.de <hannehinz at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2012.05.16 (01) [EN]

Dear Sandy, my spontaneous reaction was "Oh dear no!", and after reading
the article, it's the same reaction. Extremely frustrating. This is bad for
Italian, bad for English, bad for science and bad for people. It's another
step towards reducing diversity in the world and establishing a crippeld
English as lingua franca. And why the heck shouldn't people who want to
study in Italy learn Italian?! Is it considered a waste of time?!
Inefficient, inexpedient, obsolete? Because in truth, there is money behind
this decision. Is life only there to polish your eligibility for
multinational companies?! Who wants to live in such a world???? Where
Italian spoken in Italy is nothing but a nuisance!!!

I guess we will have more of this in the future. Every little cultural
extra that doesn't pay off is erased. Who thought Globalization meant
having all sorts of people communicate? It seems it means having only one
sort of people after all, and they not really communicating -- in their
500-words-minimal-grammar-English.

Angry greetings

Marlou