LL-L "Celebrations" 2012.11.12 (02) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 13 08:53:48 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 12 November 2012 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mike Morgan mwmbombay at gmail.com
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2012.11.12 (01) [EN]

Sandy (and no other) wrote:
> Here's to 2013 when it comes, eh?

Well, here in Shangri-la day after tomorrow is New Years 1138
(according to Nepal sambat, the third of our official national
calendars, used mostly by Newars, the aboriginal inhabitants of
Kathmandu Valley)

So:

पासापिं! न्यू दँ ११३३ (म्हपुजा)या भिंतुना।  (Nepalbhasa/Newari)

A Happy New Year 1133 to all Lowland friends!

And, as it is also Diwali (Dipawali or Teehar here in Nepal), to the
Hindus among us (and I believe there ARE Hindus among us):

शुभ दिपावलीको मंगलमय शुभ-कामना (nepali) | दिवाली मुबारक होआप सव के
(Bhojpuri) | दिवाली की शुभकामनाएं (Hindi) | દિવાલી ની ખૂબ ખૂબ
શુભકામનાઓ (Gujarati) | दिवाळीच्या हार्दिक शुभेच्छा (Marathi) | শুভ
দীপাবলীর প্রীতি ও শুভেচ্ছা (Bangla) | ଦୀପାବଳିର ଅନେକ ଶୁଭେଛ (Udiya) |
ਤੁਹਾਨੂੰ ਦਿਵਾਲੀ ਦੀਆਂ ਬਹੁਤ ਬਹੁਤ ਵਧਾਈਆਂ ਹੋਣ (Panjabi) | ദീപാവലി ആശംസകള്‍
(Malayalam) | தீபாவளி நல்வாழ்த்துகள் (Tamil) | దీపావళి శుభాకా౦క్షలు
(Telugu)

Happy Diwali!  (English)

PS, Sandy, as for my use of "slots" rather than "grammatical
position"; please don't blame it on my teachers! It was subversive
literature I read outside of class where I picked that usage up ;-)

mwm || *U*C> || mike || माईक || мика || マイク (aka Dr Michael W Morgan)
sign language linguist / linguistic typologist
academic adviser, Nepal Sign Language Training and Research
NDFN, Kathmandu, Nepal

---------

From: R. F. Hahn<sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Celebrations

And the happiest of New Years to you and yours, too, dear Mike!

This, in the northern parts of the Northern Hemisphere less than cheery
region of the world at this time of the year, just screams for
encouragement. So I personally respect and welcome all the seasonal
light-bringing and light-affirming festivals of the world, such as Diwali
(तिहार, etc.), Yule (Jul), Christmas, and Hanukkah (*Ḥănukkāh*, חֲנֻכָּה).

May ancient and rekindled light brighten *your* days, dear Lowlanders!

Regards
Reinhard/Ron
Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com