LL-L "Language varieties" 2012.11.28 (02) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 29 05:56:04 UTC 2012

L O W L A N D S - L - 28 November 2012 - Volume 02

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Edwin Alexander edsells at cogeco.ca
Subject: LL-L "Administrativia" 2012.11.28 (01) [EN-NDS]
On 28/11/2012 1:28 PM, Ron wrote:

Ed, how about finding another word or two and *then* finding out how
linguists react to the proposal that Anishinaabe (Ojibwe) and other
Algonquian languages are connected with Afro-Asiatic? ;-)

Hey, I was just kidding!  My assumption is that it is purely coincidental.
According to their own legends, the Algonkian peoples inhabited the
northeastern coastlands of North America, and moved westward from there.
Genetically, they have found evidence of interbreeding of North Americal
aborginals with prehistoric peoples of what is the Basque region of
Europe.  It is theorized that these early explorers from Europe followed
the continuous edge of the glaciers 12,000 years ago.  I may not have these
facts just right, but you can Google it for yourself.  In other words, it
could just as well be Afro-European.

Ed

----------
From: Mike Morgan mwmbombay at gmail.com

Ron,

as a linguist, you know that there HAVE been much crazier proposals
than an Algic-Afro-Asiatic connection... although usually, yes, based
on a list longer than 1 cognate (but sometimes with much WORSE
correspondence than the minyan-minik one Ed offers)

(When I was first in Japan, a score and a half years ago, trying to
prove that the Japanese (or at least those Japanese linked with the
royal family) were one of the Lost Tribes of Israel was a quite
"popular" topic for books. Or that Japanese was related to
Dravidian... of course, most of these august books were written by
people whose PhDs were in fields like Civil Engineering or such. ;-)

currently on day 4 of the annual Linguistic Society of Nepal
conference-PLUS-workshop (2 days-PLUS-2 days), and half the workshop
is Scott Delancey with the latest developments in his theories about
the Sino-Tibetan [sic] family tree (sorry if the juxtaposition leaves
the wrong conclusion; DeLancey's trheories are VERY convincing
linguistically... and historically)

 And, by the way, I find the Anishinaabe minik - English many (< manig)
correspondence to be a LOT more convincing ;-)

> Ed, how about finding another word or two and *then* finding out how

mwm || *U*C> || mike || माईक || мика || マイク (aka Dr Michael W Morgan)
sign language linguist / linguistic typologist
academic adviser, Nepal Sign Language Training and Research
NDFN, Kathmandu, Nepal

----------

From: Mike Morgan mwmbombay at gmail.com

PS should also have expanded the Anishinaabe-Indo-European set... also
need to include on the IE side Slavic m^nogo, Latin magnus (with
metathesis) and -- respects to Freud's theory of the antithetical
meaning of roots -- Sanskrit manaak "a little", Latin minus, etc

but it being 3;30AM here in Shangrila, I will leave the expansion of
the list to others ;-)

From: R. F. Hahn sassisch at yahoo.com
Subject: Language varieties

Ed, I knew you were kidding. I just tried to yank your chain.

Mike, let me take this full circle by adding that I know a professor who is
convinced that Altaic and Dravidian languages are related, and there are
those that both Japanese and Korean are related to Altaic on a pre-Altaic
stratum ... And, of course, there's someone convinced that Hungarian and
Quechua are related.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com