LL-L "Language varieties" 2012.11.29 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 29 19:20:09 UTC 2012

L O W L A N D S - L - 29 November 2012 - Volume 01

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Douglas Hinton douglas.hinton at gmail.com
Subject: Interesting theory proposing origins of the english language
I came across this article while browsing one of my favorite websites.
The authors propose that english is a scandinavian language as opposed to
being a North Germanic language. You can read the article at:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121127094111.htm

I don't agree with the article's theory. I think that history already has
come to the right conclusion as to the source of the english language. For
one thing Old East Norse was quite a different animal then modern danish or
norwegian. And english is clearly more closely related to the North German
dialects, then to Old East Norse.  Also listening to spoken modern frisian
it's not hard to hear it's resemblance to the Southern Danish dialect, so I
think the influence of the North Germanic languages spread North and West.
Otherwise, both danish and english are related to the Frisian (including
Angle and Saxon) language. And that frisian and english aren't descended
from Old East Norse.
Regards, Douglas

From: Edwin Alexander edsells at cogeco.ca
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2012.11.28 (02) [EN]