LL-L "Etymology" 2012.09.12 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 12 18:25:02 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 12 September 2012 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Luc Vanbrabant lucv32 at gmail.com
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2012.09.03 (01) [EN]

Hi Ron,

This is what my 'Larousse dictionnaire d' étymologie' says:
Hache (1138) comes from Francique (Frankisch: Oud-Nederlands) *hapja
hacher (1314) written as hagier by Mondeville
hachis (1280) written as hagis by Bibbesworth
'hapja' can mean 'hapke' (a little ax to cut or a little snack)

Groetjes,
Luc Vanbrabant
Oekene

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>