LL-L "Education" 2012.09.12 (03) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 12 20:28:45 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 12 September 2012 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Isaac M. Davis isaacmacdonalddavis at gmail.com <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Education" 2012.09.12 (02) [EN]

From: Edwin Alexander edsells at cogeco.ca
> Subject: LL-L "Education" 2012.09.11 (02) [EN-NL]
>
> On 12/09/2012 1:22 AM, Roger wrote:
>
>  There is a strong increase of Dutch kids being registered transborder in
>> Belgian primary and middle schools.(cf. URL below)
>> Same holds at the French-Walloon border.
>> Is there a similar transborder exchange at the US-Canadian border?
>>

> Not at all.  The real issues here are internal to Quebec, which has just
> elected another "separatist" provincial government.  Right now, there is no
> chance that a referendum for separation would succeed, but people, so I'm
> told, were fed up with the previous government, which had suffered a number
> of scandals during its long tenure.  Nonetheless, the new government is
> saying that they will further restrict French speaking citizens from
> attending English speaking educational institutions.  You can well
> understand the desire for the Quebecois to receive an English education as
> this is a global phenomenon, so you may see an increase in people sending
> their kids to boarding school in the US if they can afford it.

I don't know about Québec families sending kids to school in the US (and in
fact, I highly doubt that would happen outside of an extremely small group
of very affluent Anglophones, living in Upper Westmount), but in western
Québec, which is very rural, very bilingual, and so strongly opposed to
separatism that French-speakers don't even identify themselves as
'Francophone' (which has become something of a buzzword), but rather as
'French', it is quite common to pretend that kids, particularly of high
school age, live with relatives on the Ontario side of the border, so they
can go to school in the nearest Ontario community, in this case usually
Pembroke, Ontario. I think for convenience's sake, they'll live with said
relative during the week, during the school year, and the rest of the time,
they're back home in Pontiac County. This has been going on for years,
though, and has to do with the general neglect the area receives at the
hands of the province, rather than any recent nationalist developments.

Isaac M. Davis
Lower Westmount, Québec

--

"As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master."
—Abraham Lincoln

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com