LL-L "Etymology ​" 2013.04.03 (01) [EN​]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 3 21:39:30 UTC 2013

 L O W L A N D S - L - 03 April 2013 - Volume 01
 Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Marcus Buck <list at marcusbuck.org>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology​" 2013.03.28 (01) [EN​]

>From analogy we would expect the word "fuchtig" to have a long vowel
looking at words like "küüchen" (German "keuchen") or "Lüüd" (German
"Leute"), but there seems to be an additional rule that changed "üücht" to
"ücht": "süchten" (German "seufzen") and "lüchten" (German "leuchten").

I'm pretty sure there are more examples but at the moment my mind cannot
find any more.

In the 1930 book "Deutsche Grußformeln in neuhochdeutscher Zeit" there is a
small section about "holl di fuchtig". It cites an expression used in the
Vierlanden: "Holl *di fuchtig* as de Pogg' in't Wáter" (this is taken from
an Google Books excerpt, I don't have the full text). So there are at least
some native speakers who identify the word to mean "wet". Although that
doesn't mean that this identification is universal or the original meaning.

The book also references the "Versuch eines bremisch-niedersächsichen
Wörterbuches" dictionary, volume I, page 461, where it says (I cite the
full entry on "fucht"):
*FUCHT, feucht, uvidus. A.S. fucht. H. vucht und vocht. Sik fucht holden:
sich wohl und tapfer halten, strenuum se gerere. Eigentlich will es sagen:
bis zum Schweiß arbeiten. Im Scherz sagt man auch: holt di fucht, averst
pisse nig in 't Bedde: halt dich wohl.*

This dictionary is from 1767, so the expression is definitely very
old. "Versuch
eines bremisch-niedersächsichen Wörterbuches" is one of or even _the_
oldest dictionary of Modern Low Saxon.

Marcus Buck

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com