LL-L "Phonology=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=8B=22_?=2013.04.17 (03) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 18 04:44:21 UTC 2013

 L O W L A N D S - L - 17 April 2013 - Volume 03
 Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
From: Mark Brooks <marcosarroyos at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2013.04.17 (01) [EN]

Ron asked: "I wonder why this is so and how far spread this pronunciation
is within the English- and Scots-speaking world."
I am not familiar with that pronunciation at all. Around these parts it's
sans glottal stop. I also believe the vowel in the second syllable is [a]
in Texas.

Mark Brooks

----------

From: Pat Barrett <pbarrett at cox.net>

I never thought about it, but I definitely say be-ond with no y sound. I’ll
have to start noticing that one. I also have a schwa for the first vowel of
“mistake”.
Pat Barret – living in AZ since 1951 (explains a lot) but started out in
Ohio.

----------

From: Peter Snepvangers <snepvangers at optushome.com.au>

*What seems like a large percentage of American English speakers pronounces
the word "beyond" like "be-ond" ([biˈʔɔnd], instead of like [biˈjɔnd]).*

Hello Ron and Laaglanders

We see the “be-ond” as peculiar to American speakers (mainly news media)
and it is not used that way in Australia. The emphasis on the “ond” part of
the word is also louder spoken and seems just so American. It is almost
like 2 separate words.

Best Regards Ron
Peter Snepvangers
Sydney Australia