LL-L "Literature" 2013.08.31 (01) [EN-NDS]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 31 16:52:13 UTC 2013

L O W L A N D S - L - 31 August 2013 - Volume 01

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Tom Mc Rae <thomas.mcrae at bigpond.com>
Subject: LL-L Fiction Scots Detective Novels

The Ian Rankin's Rebus novels have started a flow of excellent Scottish
crime novels

You can get details of Tony Black and his books at http://www.tonyblack.net
His character was once The Scotsman's top reporter until he drank himself
out of a job. Now manages to get involved with some bad murders. What
horrified me was the way in his stories that very respectable Edinburgh
housing estates such as Sighthill in our days have deteriorated into
lawless, drug soaked, hell holes.

Stuart Macbride has written at least six stories about DI McRae of Aberdeen
aw fu'o' sweery wurds tae.
First is "Cold Granite" about a serial child murderer. Second, "Dying
Light", involves serial prostitute murders.
Third has a serial rapist who is a local hero. He gets let off through a
slimy lawyer even though caught in the act
to the joy of Aberdonians  .
He manages to combine some awful crimes with bits of hilarity.
Be warned crime and morgue scenes are very realistic a reminder of just
what the Polis has to face all too often.
Aberdeen weather descriptions will make you feel dreich, cauld, freezin'
an' squelchy. Nae wunner the Aberdeen RAMC Territorials I used to camp wi'
were sae crabbit.
He also has a website.
Best Regards

*----------*

From: Hannelore Hinz <hannehinz at t-online.de> <hannehinz at t-online.de>
 Subject: Literature (Autorin: H. Hinz)

Un nu ein poetsch' Harwstgräuten an all' Fründ'n.

                *Harwstmand

    *Je ja, leiw Fründ, markst du all Müs',
    de Sommer seggt uns draff Adschüß.
    Noch deiper ward de Sünn bald stahn,