LL-L "Etymology=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=8B=22_2013.02.07_=E2=80=8B=2801=29_?=[EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 7 18:24:53 UTC 2013

 L O W L A N D S - L - 07 February 2013 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology?" 2013.02.06 ?(01) [DE-NDS]

Re: Mumme****

Aha Hanne, I learned something today!. In Philadelphia on NewYears Day
there is a large parade which is called The Mummers parade. There are
marching bands and people are dressed up in the most interesting costumes
and march along the streets of the city. Sometimes they even put on all
kinds of entertainment, like juggling and dancing. I bet you that these
Mummers found their origins in your “Mumme”. Come to think of it there is
this Dutch verb “vermommen” which means in English to dress up and also to
conceal. There is also a Dutch expression “onder het mom van” which means
in English under the guise of… And then there is the Dutch noun “mombakkes”
which means a bizarre mask and has the pejorative meaning of ugly face.
This last meaning is described in my Dutch etymological dictionary as
having been drived from a Spanish/Portuguese word for grin (momo). There
are also an old Frisian word “momer” which means to put on a mask which
obviously has the same root! I have somehow the feeling that your
“Strohwish” is the granddaddy of them all and could go way back to
pre-Christian times. ****

What a fun word. Thank you****

Jacqueline BdJ****

Seattle WA USA

Send commands (including “signoff lowlands-l”) to
listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com