LL-L "History" 2013.06.25 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 26 02:21:59 UTC 2013

 L O W L A N D S - L - 25 June 2013 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
From: Wolfram Antepohl <wolfram at antepohl.se>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2013.06.23 (01) [EN]

Hello Tom!

Great to hear that you're interested in Gotland and Visby. Visby is a
fantastic city with the mediaeval atmosphere being preserved in a very
special way. It is also special to me as a German migrant to Sweden, as the
history of Visby mirrors the fact that migrating from Germany to Gotland
and Sweden was a pretty common phenomenon in the middle ages. Even the
island of Gotland in general is a phantastic place to visit. Especially
during the summer, it might be hard to believe that you are actually on an
island in the Baltic sea and not in the Mediterranean.
Concerning the history of Visby from 1361 and onwards: The citizens of
Visby opened the gates to Valdemar Atterdags army after the defeat of the
gotlandish(gutnic peasant army. Valdemar threatened to plunder and pillage
the city if the citizens did not fill three large barrels with gold. So the
burgers of Visby bereft their homes and churches of their gold and filled
the barrels. After that incident, Visby entered a period of relative chaos
with Danes, Victualian prirates, Teutonic knights, and then pirates and
Danes again before Visby was attacked by the Lübeckians who burnt down much
of the city and utterly ended the period of mediaeval prosperity the city
had enjoyed. In the 17th century, Visby became part of Sweden again. The
English Wikipedia providesa good synopsis at http://en.wikipedia.org/
wiki/Visby. There also many good books available, many of which have been
translated into English. Just drop me a line if you want more information.
Greetings
Wolfram (currently: New York City)

Wolfram Antepohl
Lindesbergsgatan 4
582 53 Linköping
013-125243
073-8031585
wolfram at antepohl.se

----------

From: "Fonken, Gael M. [foga0301 at stcloudstate.edu]" <
foga0301 at stcloudstate.edu>
Subject: LL-L "History"

Hi all,****

Just poking into the history of the Hanseatic league and found this answer
to your question,  Tom:****

*Hanseatic Town of Visby* - UNESCO World Heritage
Centre<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=14&cad=rja&ved=0CIEBEBYwDQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwhc.unesco.org%2Fen%2Flist%2F731&ei=p__JUeC-N8SbqwH8n4DACw&usg=AFQjCNGinasgIrm5PJ7D4kS6JSrCXmVl1A&sig2=PgAQfesQZv0LxWENjwjg-A&bvm=bv.48293060,d.aWM>
****

Living in Minnesota near the Canadian border, I’m always hoping that more
of this history will be recovered here.  The high German influence here is
near total despite the fact that many people speak of having “low German”
ancestors as well, or of some other more northern heritage.  Alas though,
very few people here speak anything other than English now.  ****

One dominant language replaces another… yes, but there is all this other.
 We gage history by linking together a string of disasters.  But really,
it’s this ability to establish harmony and prosperity that moves us forward.
****

Beste,****

Gael
listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com