LL-L "Language varieties" 2013.09.29 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 30 01:21:59 UTC 2013

L O W L A N D S - L - 29 September 2013 - Volume 01

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: mail.bigpond.com <thomas.mcrae at bigpond.com>
Subject: LL-l Linguistics Ancient language not heard for 4,000

*Ancient language not heard for 4,000 years is recorded for the first time
as linguists work out how English came about using ancient texts*

Proto-Indo-European, or PIE for short, is an ancient language mixing Latin,
Greek and Sanskrit which was spoken around 4,500 B.C.

Full Story:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2437445/
Ancient-language-called-PIE-heard-4-000-years-recorded-time.html

Sent from my iPad
Tom Mc Rae
Brisbane Australia

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Thanks, Tom! You beat me to it. I was just about to fire off a similar
message when yours arrived.

When I listen to the audio recording and read the text I can't help
wondering if this reconstructed Indo-European language isn't overly complex
due to hitherto unknown shifts.

And, talking about ancient history (going back much farther than to
Indo-European ancestors), I've done what our Roger Thijs had done much
earlier: I had my DNA analyzed. Among other things, doing so affords you
glimpses of your ancestry going back thousands of years, and it matches you
with relatives far and wide (as long as they are in the database). This
comes with surprises, in my case for instance ancestry in the Ural
Mountains and connections with lots of people in Finland, a few in Hungary,
and also in the Caucasus region. More surprising to me were small
percentages of West African and Melanesian ancestry (perhaps because Germany
had colonies in West Africa and Papua New
Guinea<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_colonies>?).
Also surprising to me was a good dose of
Balochi<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baloch_people>ancestry (perhaps
from Romani
["Gypsy"] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people> ancestry?) Most of
my ancestry, however, is Northeastern European, followed by "Atlantic"
(West European?), West and East Mediterranean, and a dose of Near Eastern
(which connects me with Jewish third, fourth and fifth cousins all over the
world).

Taking such a test may be helpful in chipping away at racism.

If you respond only to this genealogical part of my posting, please entitle
it "LL-L Genealogy".

Please write to me privately to find out about taking this sort of test.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com