LL-L "Administr=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=8Bativia=22_?=2014.10.01 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 1 07:59:27 UTC 2014

 L O W L A N D S - L - 01 October 2014 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Administrativia

[Please do read this, especially if you are new on board!]

Dear Lowlanders,

Welcome to Lowlands-L in the month of January of 2014!

Welcome to the persons that joined us since the beginning of December 2013!

*Canada*:
        Saskatchewan:

            Regina [1]
            Saskatoon [1]

*Ireland* (*Éire <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89ire>, **Airlann*):

        Cork (*Contae Chorcaí*):
            Cork (*Corcaigh*) [1]

*Reminder*: This discussion forum deals with a number of languages,
cultures, etc. It is not possible to limit subscription to certain topics
(languages, cultures, etc.)

*SPECIAL LIST BUSINESS*

*Subject headers*

Some of you are still not following the subject header rule (see *Do not
mix topics* under Rules below). Here in brief:

   - *Only one topic per message*
   - *In responding to an earlier posting, please use the subject line that
   already exists for a given thread. Do not change or "tweak" it, not the
   date and language labels either!*
   - *Only if you start a thread may you suggest your own subject header,
   but do not insist on your subject header if I change it.*

*List Mail v Private Mail*

Folks, please make sure that you send private messages to me to my private
address (sassisch at yahoo.com), especially if they could be taken as
distinction it could happen that your private message ends up posted to the
List. For administrative purposes, it's best if you use
lowlands.list at gmail.com.

*Rejected Mail*

Once in a while subscribers tell me that they receive List mail but that
their posting submissions keep being rejected. In most cases, when I
investigate this it turns out that a given subscriber has List mail
forwarded from his or her subscribed e-mail address to another e-mail
address, and, forgetting this, they try to send posting submissions from
the address at which they read the mail. The list server rejects mail from
that address because it is not subscribed. Also, some people try to
unsubscribe or change their subscription configurations from addresses that
are not subscribed. The simple solution is to address the list server only
from the subscribed e-mail address.

*Language Codes*

In the subject line of each Lowlands-L issue you find language codes in
square brackets ([ ]). This indicates which language or languages are used
in that issue. I now use the ISO codes where available (and make up the
rest). I used to provide the key for the abbreviations in the masthead, but
that made for overly large mastheads. Instead, the masthead now contains
the URL of the page of the key:

lowlands-l.net/codes.php

You do not need to indicate the language varieties of you posting
proposals. In the rare event of me not knowing it I will ask you.

*Projects*

Please don't forget about our activities:

Anniversary (lowlands-l.net/anniversary/)

Gallery (lowlands-l.net/gallery/)

Travels (lowlands-l.net/travels/)

History (lowlands-l.net/history/)

Traditions (lowlands-l.net/traditions/)

Crypt (http://lowlands-l.net/crypt/) <http://lowlands-l.net/crypt/>

Beyond the Pale (lowlands-l.net/beyondthepale/)

Members' Resources (http://lowlands-l.net/resources/)

Resource guide (http://lowlands-l.net/rummage/)

Shop (http://lowlands-l.net/rummage/shops.php)

All of them have growing numbers of visitors.

If you have anything in mind for any of those presentations but lack
confidence for some reason or other, please bear in mind that assistance is
available. Please write to my private address or to our administrative
address (see above) to propose or ask and also to send your works.

If you want to order books, CDs, DVDs, or pretty much anything else from
Amazon (in the US even groceries!) you might as well do so via our
Lowlands-L shops (so far in Canada, Germany, France, Japan, UK and USA - (
http://lowlands-l.net/rummage/shops.php)) which have constantly changing
Lowlands-related selections. We (i.e. Lowlands-L) get a small percentage of
Amazon sales if you enter Amazon through these portals. Believe me: it
hardly pays a tiny fraction of the money I pay out of my own pocket to
bringing Lowlands-L to you, and I am not even counting the hours of work I
put into it.

*REGULAR LIST BUSINESS*

*Rules*

A few of you are still making three basic mistakes when submitting
postings. So here's a quick review:

*Do not mix topics. *Many of you are still not following this rule. (Please
see my note at the top.)

Stay with the subject line (and don't add stuff to it) when you respond. It
is only when you start a new thread that you may suggest a subject line.

When you respond to someone's posting, please only quote the relevant
portion. If you allow an entire issue to dangle as a quote behind your
response I will remove it, even if your response does not make much sense
then.

Please consult the rules and guidelines: lowlands-l.net/rules.php

Another request:

Please inform me if you route LL-L issues to or via email addresses other
than those you subscribed. Right now, once again I am getting failure
reports concerning email addresses that are not subscribed. This is really
annoying, because I have no idea whose they are, so I can't do anything
about it.

*Membership*

As most of you know in the meantime, our email addresses are visible only
to subscribers. I hope this will encourage more of you to come forward and
participate in our discussions.

We send the postings in Unicode (UTF-8) format. You need to switch your
view mode to it if you want to see all "special" characters.

You must always give us your name, given name and family name.

If you forward Lowlands-L mail to another (alias) account, please give us
the address of that account. We need to identify it so we can do something
in case we get error messages from that server.

If you wish to leave ("unsubscribe" from) Lowlands-L, please follow the
appropriate steps as described below. DO NOT mark Lowlands-L mail as SPAM.
If you take this unethical action, it may detrimentally affect the entire
list and its subscribers, as well as LINGUIST, our server hosts. Besides,
we will be able to tell that it was you that did it and we will consider
reporting you. SO DON'T!

You must credit the writers of anything you quote. "Lowlands-L wrote:"
simply won't do. Several of you are still not getting and doing this.

Please continue already existing subject headers (rather than making up
your own for the same thing). If you do begin a new topic, please make sure
"Lowlands-L" or "LL-L" is in the subject line as well.

DO NOT SEND POSTING SUBMISSIONS IN CAPITAL LETTERS ONLY.

Many beginners, but also a few older hands, forget to provide their names
with their posting submission. Please remember that anonymous posting is
not an option, that you are obligated to give your given and family name,
even if you do not put them right next to each other.

Even some people who have been with us for a while persistently ignore the
following rules:

·         Keep subjects separate: Only one topic per posting! Don't mix
things up, please!

·         Stick to the subject title: Do not change the topic name in your
apply or is silly. I will change it if I think it needs to be.

*Edit quotes:* If you hit the "reply" button and simply write your response
before or after an unedited, complete quoted LL-L issue, please do not
complain to me that I have removed the quoted text in the published
version. It is proper email behavior to quote only the portions that are
relevant to your response.

*Give credit:* Let us know who the authors of quoted text portions are. If
you just hit the "reply" button, it will automatically give "Lowlands-L" as
the author. That simply will not do. You must be more specific, and you owe
authors the courtesy of crediting them by name.

*Sign off:* If you feel like leaving the List, please do not send the
sign-off command to the posting address or to my personal address.

*Change of Address*

You do no longer need to sign off and on again if your email address
changes. It suffices if you send me (sassisch at yahoo.com) a message giving
us the old address and the new address. If you don't remember under which
address you were first subscribed, it will suffice if you give us only the
new address and your name.

*Temporary Absence*

   - Before you take a trip or for some other reason need to stop LL-L mail
   arriving for a given length of time, please write to us (
   lowlands.list at gmail.com) to let us know the date you want mail to be
   stopped and the date you want mail to be resumed. As some of our members
   can attest, this has been working really well. It certainly beats the old,
   crude method of signing off and on again.
   - Once in a while people find themselves unsubscribed without notice.
   Some of them immediately suspect the worst: that I have "booted them out"
   for some infraction or other. (I know this for sure only about those that
   contact me. But it happens again and again and involves even the nicest,
   best-behaved people.) Please do not jump to this conclusion unless you have
   received prior reprimands and warnings (which happen very rarely, have not
   happened at all for well over two years). If you find yourself disconnected
   from Lowlands-L, the reason is most likely that the automated server has
   unsubscribed your address because of repeated "bouncing," i.e., because
   your mail servers keep informing the list server that you cannot be reached
   or is filled above quota. Most of the time this is due to temporary
   disconnection.
   - Sometimes the reason is that a subscriber's junk mail filter (or
   "spam" filter) has not been "told" to exempt Lowlands-L mail, which is why
   our mailings do not arrive in your in-boxes.
   - So, if Lowlands-L mail stops coming, please first check your "spam"
   filters and adjust them if necessary, and only contact me about the problem
   if all of the above fails.
   - Should you indeed be disconnected, please write to me or resubmit an
   application. I'll be more than happy to bring you swiftly back to the fold.

Again, dear Lowlanders, thanks for your support and cooperation and for all
those interesting contributions past and future!

Regards, Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn

Co-Founder& Chief Editor
Lowlands-L (lowlands-l.net)
sassisch at yahoo.com