LL-L "Idiomatica" 2014.01.03 (02) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 4 06:31:09 UTC 2014

 L O W L A N D S - L - 03 January 2014 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Kevin Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2014.01.03 (01) [EN]

In the case of “I could care less,” my suspicion is that it results from
wanting to put heavy stress on “care.”

Kevin Caldwell
Laurel, MD

---------

From: Stan Levinson <stlev99 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2014.01.03 (01) [EN]

Ron,
my non-scientific assessment is
1.  sounds Yiddish
2.  seems similar to double-negatives, so common in non-standard speech.
3.  happy new year.

-----------

From: Steven Hanson <ammurit at gmail.com>

I dare say it’s something akin to a double or emphatic negative, which
we’re taught in school not to use, but which is really quite common in
practice.

Steven

 From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

----------

From: Mark Brooks <marcosarroyos at sbcglobal.net>

Ron asked, "Is there something about “could” and “could not” that causes
confusion and leads to in such instances?"

I've never heard the examples in 2, but I have heard 1.

Here's a guess on 1. I tried saying "I couldn't care less several times,"
and I discovered there are two ways I can discern that I pronounce it.

When I "pronounce" the [t], I do so with a glottal stop that follows a
syllabic n. In that case it's clearer (to me anyway) that I'm mean could
not. When I don't pronounce the [t], I just pronounce the syllabic n
followed by <k> from care. In this second case, it doesn't seem as clear
(audible) that I mean to negate the word "could."

Perhaps people are not pronouncing the phrase as in my second example! and
hearers don't notice the negation.

Mark Brooks

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com