LL-L "Language varieties" 2014.01.09 (02) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 9 17:48:21 UTC 2014

 L O W L A N D S - L - 09 January 2014 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Isaac M. Davis <isaacmacdonalddavis at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2014.01.09 (01) [EN]

I get why people are getting worked up, sort of; it's in-group vs out-group
stuff. But I'm Canadian. My accent is closer to American than anything, but
I'm the (cultural) descendant of the people Noah Webster was working
against. My English, and that of my peers, is rife with supposed
Britishisms, and it's a complete non-issue. You could say it's equally rife
with Americanisms, for that matter, and have just as much of a point. So
any of those things that people are picking on sound equally normal to
me/us. Mommy, Daddy, please don't fight!

-Isaac M. Davis

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com